- a tiny ORB running on SOAP-HTTP-
This page describes SoapOpera 0.2 (or 0.1), which is older version.
- (2002/12/09) SAR packaged SoapCore for SqueakMap. Now you can install SoapCore in one-click way! It is the first attempt
to divide SoapOpera distribution into small components. The newest version
would be 0.5beta6.
- (2002/11/18) Patch: ForYAXO 2 November 2002.cs. If you would like to run SoapOpera with the latest YAXO (2 November 2002
version, which can be downloaded from YAXO page), use this changeSet.
- (2002/10/09) A tiny 0.5beta4 Mac fix. SoapOpera now runs on your Mac!
- (2002/10/06) SoapOpera has been updated to 0.5beta4. This version has greatly improved HTTP related error handling (Thanks
to Thierry). Another enhancement is "SQTP" (Squeak Transport Protocol).
Now multiple transport protocols have been supported in SoapCore. Of course,
default is well known HTTP, but you can try another protocol, SQTP. SQTP
is extremely fast in sending bulky data (more than approximately 1K). Go
- (2002/08/15) SoapOpera0.5beta3c is out. Now you can use SIXX Encoding as well as other encoding schemes (SOAP, SRP , and SQ Encoding).
Additional namespace support for complex SOAP Encoding type (Array and
Struct). Also Http proxy has been formally supported (thanks to Thierry
- (2002/05/31) SoapOpera0.5beta3b has been released. I've fixed a minor bug related to SOAP Array encoding.
Thanks to Steve Waring for having pointed that! (SoapOpera can talk with
his Spray. Please see the interop page.)
- (2002/05/14) The latest release - SoapOpera0.5beta3a now includes Google Web API Example. Call Google from your Squeak!
- (2002/05/03) Here is the newest release - SoapOpera0.5beta3! From this version, SOAP Encoding has begun to support complex types.
Now it is possible to call Google Web APIs. Enjoy!
- (2002/04/02) SoapOpera0.5beta2 has been released. Now SOAP Encoding Array (of primitive types) are supported,
which enables array objects pass between Squeak and Ruby.
0.5beta2 also includes new encoding scheme, SRP encoding. Because SRP is a generic object serialization protocol, if other
SOAP implementation supports SRP, it would be possible to pass arbitrary
- (2002/03/03) SoapOpera0.5beta1 is now available. It includes a lightweight ORB on SOAP. The ORB wrapper
was basically ported from SoapOpera0.2. No additional features for now.
But the ORB wrapper has been used in two pilot projects. So it is very
stable and fast!
- (2002/02/28) Abe-san designed new logo images for SoapCore and OperaORB!
- (2002/02/24) OperaORB wrapper just started to work in 0.5. It enables you to use SOAP like an ORB. If you are interested in, download the snapshot version.
- (2002/02/08) SoapOpera0.5alpha2 minor code cleaning. Rewrote interoperability examples with Dolphin SOAP (Splash/Spray).
- (2002/02/07) Interoperability examples with Dolphin SOAP (Splash/Spray).
Squeak and Dolphin can talk each other!
- (2002/02/03) SoapOpera0.5alpha2 is out. It supports multiple XML parsers (including YAX and Exobox) and sqEncoding (squeak specific XML encoding which enables passing very complex data). It all passes test cases. Recommendable for everyone.
- (2002/01/10) I wrote Ruby Client Examples to show the interoperability of SoapOpera0.5alpha. Enjoy!
- (2002/01/06) SoapOpera0.5alpha is now publicly available! It only supports raw-level Soap RPC (no wrapper ORB), but enjoyable.
- (2001/12/02) SoapOpera0.2b has been uploaded. It runs on Squeak3.x using current VWXML and Comanche.
Also with an easy-install script. Enjoy!
- (2001/11/28) VWXML Parser for Squeak3.x has been uploaded. It includes small fixes and extensions to the original
VWXML port by Bijan Parsia. I will use this in SoapOpera0.2b (maintenance
release) and SoapOpera0.5 (completely new version).
- (2001/09/02) SoapOpera 0.5 snapshot uploaded! (It does not run. Just for
- (2001/04/03) My Colleague, Risuke Hata, contributed a nice logo image for
SoapOpera. Thanks Ricky!
- (2000/12/28) SoapOpera ver 0.2a: minor bug fix of object reference marshaling
- (2000/11/26) SoapOpera ver 0.2: now supports passing object reference!
SoapOpera 0.2 is a SOAP-HTTP based ORB running on Squeak2.8-3.x.
It was originally created as a little extension of CampSmalltalk SOAP.
ORB wrapper was added to enhance the usability. (Opera is an abbrebiation
of Object Passing End-user wRApper).
It uses Squeak specific encoding. So, there is no interoperability. But
it has very small footprint. SoapOpera 0.2 has been adopted in actual
development of two embedded applications (although they were R&D projects).
Extract the zip file to your Squeak root directory and just file in 'install.st'.
- Remote garbage collection is not seriously handled
^back to SoapOpera top
- Passing object reference is not supported
- Marshal/unmarshal mechanism is Squeak specific
- Passing too much data at once causes problem